Sunday 13 March 2011

Language barrier?

Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful spring day.  We were a little late getting going with our usual Saturday morning errands, but I had a great little sleep-in and it felt good to rest up a little bit after a very busy week at work.  The market in Zwolle was crowded by the time we got there.  Usually we try to get there quite early to avoid the crowds.  The sun was so beautiful that we decided to stop and enjoy it while having a coffee at one of the restaurants ("lekker op terrasje zitten" as the Dutch would say).  To our surprise, an English speaking couple sat down across from us: a Canadian woman and an Irish man.  We spent about an hour and a half chit chatting.  


Sometimes I forget just how fantastic it can feel to speak your own language to someone!  I am lucky that I am able to speak English and Dutch to my colleagues at work (at least a couple of them).  This means that they understand what I mean even when I am speaking my mish-mash of English with a few Dutch words in between.  What I really noticed yesterday was how much easier it feels when chit chatting with total strangers to at least be able to speak your own language.  It was a real treat.  


Friends of mine from Canada will be in town to visit next weekend.  It will be the first time we've had overnight guests in our new house.  We've been busy getting things ready for them...knowing that people are coming is definitely a good incentive to get things organized here!  I'm really looking forward to having people from home over here and staying in our home!  And to speaking English all weekend long with a girlfriend of mine who probably knows what I want to say before I even open my mouth.  

No comments:

Post a Comment