Monday 21 March 2011

Friends

One of my best friends from Canada was here this weekend with her boyfriend and new baby.  These were our first house guests in our new house, and I had been looking forward to their visit since Christmas when they said they were planning a trip this way.  Their upcoming visit was also a great reason to get our attic ready for visitors.  We've got a proper little guest room up there now.  

It was absolutely wonderful to have them here and to show them some of our life here.  Definitely "gezellig".  It always feels so strange and fun to have people from my life in Canada here in this life.  We spent Saturday showing them around the town where I work and later around Zwolle.  It was such a great, sunny spring day and so fantastic to spend time with good friends in the sun.  

The last month of work has been incredibly, incredibly busy and at times I really didn't know how much longer I could handle that kind of pressure.  It actually doesn't show any sign of slowing down at work, but I noticed today that my energy was so much better.  Time with good friends can do that I suppose.  Next weekend we are off to Amsterdam with our friends again and I can't wait! 

Certainly, my friends and family have been the most difficult thing to give up while living outside of Canada.  But being away has also made me appreciate the preciousness of good friendships and how important time with "my people" is.  I've decided (as a result of how much I enjoyed myself this weekend) that it is important for me to put more time into "cultivating friendships"...often we are so busy with so many less important things that we forget to make this a priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment